Veterans Day tribute: North Olympic Peninsula Medal of Honor heroes [**PHOTO GALLERY**]
Click here to zoom...
Richard Anderson and an unidentified woman on his final leave before deployment.
Click here to zoom...
Francis Bishop
Click here to zoom...
Marvin Shields
Click here to zoom...
Thaddeus S. Smith's name on a memorial to Civil War dead at the Pennsylvania State Capitol in Harrisburg. There are no known photographs of Smith.

Peninsula Daily News

print Print This | Email This

Most Popular this week

Want more top stories? Sign up here for daily or weekly newsletters with our top news.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This column by PDN Senior Staff Writer Paul Gottlieb first appeared Nov. 10, 2000. We republish an updated version every Veterans Day.

A list of Veterans Day events today and Monday on the North Olympic Peninsula — including memorial services at the Gardiner cemetery for Medal of Honor recipient Marvin Shields — can be accessed elsewhere on the home page.

A BATTLE FLAG captured, a sharpshooters' nest overtaken, a hand-grenade clutched to the stomach, a machine-gun nest knocked out and soldiers' lives saved . . .

For these actions, four North Olympic Peninsula residents — two from Port Townsend and one each from the Agnew area and Port Angeles — are in the pantheon of 3,459 military personnel awarded the Medal of Honor.

Two of the four with ties to Clallam and Jefferson counties died in combat and were honored posthumously with this country's most hallowed military accolade.

Two lived out their days on the Peninsula.

Francis Bishop, a Union Army soldier, captured a Confederate flag at the Battle of Spottsylvania.

After the Civil War, he lived in Port Angeles with hundreds of other veterans whose military pensions helped keep the city afloat.

— Thaddeus S. Smith, an Army corporal, flushed out a sharpshooters' nest at the Battle of Gettysburg.

He later homesteaded in Jefferson County's Leland Valley before retiring to Port Townsend.

— Richard B. Anderson, who grew up in the Agnew area between Port Angeles and Sequim, died in World War II on a small island in the Pacific.

On his first day of combat, he grabbed a live grenade, pressed the grenade close to his stomach to protect his Marine comrades and saved the life of three men.

The lone remaining survivor of Anderson's bravery, Harry Pearce, of Hanover, Kan., died in 2009 at age 87.

The federal building in Port Angeles was renamed the Richard B. Anderson Federal Building in 2008 in Anderson's honor.

— Marvin G. Shields, a Port Townsend native, was a mechanic when he went to Vietnam as a Seabee, the Navy's mobile construction battalion.

When his outpost came under attack, he carried a critically wounded man to safety, was himself wounded, then helped knock out a Viet Cong machine-gun emplacement.

He was the first member of the Navy to earn the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War — and the first and only Seabee ever so honored.

A display honoring Shields was erected outside the Marvin G. Shields Memorial American Legion Post 26 in Port Townsend.

Marvin Glenn Shields

Lanky, easygoing, with an infectious smile, Shields was 25 when he was killed in Vietnam on June 10, 1965.

He is buried in the small, rural Gardiner Community Cemetery.

His grave overlooks Discovery Bay.

The marker says:

“He died as he lived, for his friends.”

Born Dec. 30, 1939, Shields graduated from Port Townsend High School in 1958.

He worked in the gold mines of Hyder, Alaska, before joining the Navy in 1962.

A Seabee construction mechanic third class, he was building an Army Special Forces compound in Dong Xoai, 55 miles north of Saigon, when 1,500 Viet Cong attacked the outpost armed with flame throwers, hand grenades and machine guns.

Picking up a rifle, he returned enemy fire and supplied ammunition to the other defenders.

Wounded twice, he carried a severely wounded soldier out of danger.

When the compound commander asked for a volunteer to help knock out a machine-gun emplacement, Shields stepped forward.

The machine-gun nest “was endangering the lives of all personnel in the compound because of the accuracy of its fire,” according to his Medal of Honor citation.

“Shields unhesitatingly volunteered for this extremely hazardous mission.”

Armed with a rocket launcher, he and Lt. Charles Q. Williams of Vance, S.C., destroyed the emplacement, “thus undoubtedly saving the lives of many of their fellow servicemen in the compound,” according to the citation.

While returning to safety, Shields was wounded a third time — fatally.

Williams also was wounded but survived — and received the Medal of Honor, too.

Dong Xoai was a charred ruin after the attack — but the attackers were turned back, and the American base held.

At Shields' funeral services, an honor guard of Marines fired a volley over his grave, followed by the sounding of taps.

The American flag that draped his casket was folded and presented to his wife, Joan, and his 1-year-old daughter, Barbara Diane.

“The courage and daring of Seabee Marvin Shields indicates that every hero does not wear an infantryman's badge or pilot a fighting plane,” Donald L. and Helen K. Ross wrote in their book, Washington State Men of Valor.

“Some are forced to exchange the tools of construction for those of destruction — a hammer for a gun — as was Marvin Shields.”

Shields' Medal of Honor was bestowed by President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1966.

The citation noted Shields' “conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk
of his life above and beyond the call of duty . . .”

The citation said Shields' “heroic initiative and great personal valor in the face of intense enemy fire sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.”

Petty Officer 3rd Class Shields has been remembered in several ways:

— A Navy frigate that bears Shields' name was built at Todd Pacific Shipyards Corp. in Seattle and saw service off Vietnam.

The USS Marvin Shields won a combat action ribbon in 1972 and a Navy Unit Commendation in 1991 during Desert Storm, the first Gulf war.

It was decommissioned in 1992, floating next to the famed World War II battleship Missouri in Bremerton before being transferred in 1997 to Mexico.

It was renamed the Mariano Abasolo and after extensive refits entered active service in the Mexican Navy.

— On the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington, D.C., Shields' name is engraved on Panel 02E, Row 007.

— The bachelors enlisted quarters at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard is named for Shields.

— Shields is honored by a plaque at the base of a flagpole at a Port Townsend overlook.

— The Marvin G. Shields Memorial American Legion Post 26 in Port Townsend is located at 209 Monroe St.

The post's memorial to him is just outside the main building.

Shields' Medal of Honor was one of 246 bestowed on servicemen for action during the Vietnam War.

Like Shields, most died as a result of their heroism.

Richard B. Anderson

Until 2001, when a plaque in Port Angeles was dedicated in his honor, Anderson was Clallam County's forgotten hero — and this in a county with about 10,000 veterans, about one for every seven residents.

A Tacoma native, Anderson grew up in the Agnew area, attended Macleay School and graduated from Sequim High School.

His father, Oscar, worked at what was then the Barron Shingle Co. on Marine Drive in Port Angeles.

Anderson was living in Port Angeles when he enlisted in the Marines, ending up as a mortarman in the Marshall Islands in the North Pacific.

Anderson, 22, died saving Harry Pearce and two other Marines in a shell crater at the edge of a contested airfield on the island of Roi Namur on Feb. 1, 1944.

He lost his life the same day he arrived for combat, and in doing so became one of 464 Americans who received this nation's highest honor in World War II.

How unusual is it that a person on the first day of combat exhibits Medal-of-Honor bravery, dying in the process?

“There is no way of saying how common it is,” said Victoria Kueck, director of operations for the Congressional Medal of Honor Society.

What's clear is that Anderson's actions were truly heroic.

He tucked a live grenade into his midsection just before it exploded.

He died the next day and was buried in Tacoma, where his parents moved after he enlisted.

He was among 12 Medal of Honor recipients in the 4th Marine Division.

Anderson was honored in a ceremony conducted by the Sequim VFW in 1984.

But it wasn't until 1997, more than 50 years after his death, that his gravestone indicated he received the nation's highest honor for heroism.

His ultimate sacrifice also went largely unnoticed in Port Angeles until four more years passed.

Local Marine veteran Terry Roth raised more than $5,000 for Anderson's memorial in Veterans Park.

It was dedicated on Memorial Day 2001.

After a long effort by Roth, the historic red brick federal building at 138 W. First St. in Port Angeles was named after Anderson four years ago.

Those in attendance at the ceremonies included Congressman Norm Dicks, whose district includes the North Olympic Peninsula, and other federal, state, county and city officials.

Anderson's sister, Mary Roderick-Anderson of Port Angeles and Everett, entrusted Roth with her brother's Medal of Honor, stipulating in a letter to Roth that “it not be left on a dusty shelf in the back room of a museum,” Roth said.

The Clallam County Historical Society has put up memorabilia chronicling Anderson's heroism in one of several display cases in the federal building's lobby.

Discrepancies persist on the circumstances of Anderson's death.

Did a live grenade slip from his hands?

Or was he unable to hurl a grenade from which the pin had already been removed when he opened the grenade canister?

“Anderson was preparing to throw a grenade at an enemy position when it slipped from his hands and rolled toward the men at the bottom of the hole,” says Anderson's medal citation, signed by President Franklin D. Roose­velt.

Anderson “hurled his body on the grenade,” the citation adds.

Two of the three Marines said the grenade slipped from Anderson's hands.

Pearce recalled that day in one of many yearly telephone interviews from his home in Hanover, Kan., with the PDN in observance of Veterans Day.

Pearce, in the shell hole, insisted up to a month before his death in 2009 that Anderson never fumbled the grenade.

Pressed against the crater's edge, Pearce saw Anderson take the lid off a two-grenade canister and turn it upside down, apparently to shake them out.

Pearce turned away, then looked back.

“I looked down in the hole, and [Anderson] had a live grenade in his hand,” Pearce said.

“He threw it over his shoulder. It didn't clear the shell hole and rolled right back to him.”

Pearce maintains Anderson never pulled the pin, that instead the canister contained a live grenade without a pin, or the pin fell out as Anderson opened the canister.

After the grenade rolled back, “he gathered it into his belly and yelled, 'Oh, my God,' and those were his last three words, and that was it,” Pearce said.

“He gave me a chance to live,” he said.

“I think he did it instinctively and gave it no thought.

“He did what he wanted to do, what he thought he had to do to protect others.”

Pearce said he often wonders what Anderson's life would have been like had he survived the war.

“He was a good-looking guy,” Pearce said. “I imagine he would have married and had a family, but these things you never know.”

A weathered photo of Pearce's younger self hangs in the Clallam County Historical Society display in the Richard B. Anderson building.

“I take time out every day to give thanks for what Richard did on my behalf,” Pearce said Nov. 11, 2009, barely louder than a whisper a month before he died.

“I call it my second chance.”

Pearce's written account of what happened is at, sponsored by Texas Tech University, home of The Vietnam Archive, the largest repository of Vietnam War artifacts outside of federal government facilities.

A destroyer named after Anderson and launched in 1945 had among its first crew members Machinist's Mate Robert L. Anderson, Richard's brother.

It was sold to Taiwan in 1977 and decommissioned in 1999.

Francis A. Bishop

A private (later promoted to corporal) in Co. C., 57th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War, Bishop's citation states simply that he received the Medal of Honor in 1864 for “capture of flag” from Confederate forces in the Battle of Spottsylvania, Va., among the bloodiest of the war.

Capturing a flag or carrying one unscathed through battle was among the most common reasons for bestowing a Medal of Honor during the Civil War, according to the PBS documentary “Medal of Honor.”

“A lot of people would say that if you capture a flag, you would not win a medal today,” said Ken Richmond, an amateur Civil War historian from Jefferson County.

“But you have to remember, a unit's flag was its point of reference.

“When it moved forward, a 1,000-man regiment moved forward.

“When it was no longer there, the whole unit fell apart. Basically, everyone is shooting at you [the flag-bearer].”

At Spottsylvania, 20,000 Union troops converged in May 1964 at a place called The Bloody Angle, racing across the length of two football fields to confront their Confederate counterparts.

For more than 20 hours, soldiers fought hand-to-hand, bayonet-to-bayonet.

A tree at The Bloody Angle was made famous, its stump immortalized in the Smithsonian Institution.

At the beginning of the battle, the trunk was 22 inches around.

By the battle's end, it had been sawed in half — by small-arms fire.

In 1892, almost three decades after the end of the Civil War, Bishop and about 200 other veterans and their families moved from Michigan to Clallam County.

The Union veterans post in Port Angeles was one of the largest in the country.

Their $6-to-$8-a-month pension checks, and earnings at what was known as the Grand Army of the Republic sawmill, helped keep Port Angeles afloat for several years.

Bishop lived for three decades in Port Angeles, moving to Kitsap County's Port Orchard after his wife's death.

He is buried in Blanchard, Mich.

According to his obituary in the Oct. 14, 1937, Port Angeles Evening News, predecessor newspaper to the Peninsula Daily News, Bishop shrugged his shoulders when someone asked about his heroism — and suggested he had to have killed many men to capture that Confederate flag.

“It was nothing at all,” Bishop said.

“We were going into action, marched all night, Johnny colors were there and took them; nothing else we could do.”

Bishop was among 1,522 Civil War soldiers who received the Medal of Honor.

According to his obituary, when he died at 96, he was the last living Medal of Honor recipient from the Civil War.

Thaddeus S. Smith

During the Battle of Gettysburg on July 2, 1863, Smith “was one of six volunteers who charged up upon a log house near the Devil's Den, where a squad of the enemy's sharpshooters were sheltered, and compelled their surrender,” says his medal citation, issued May 5, 1890.

A place is reserved for Civil War veterans in Laurel Grove Cemetery in Port Townsend that a half-dozen veterans visit every Memorial Day to pay their respects, said Robby Robichaux of Port Townsend, a retired Puget Sound ship's pilot and Army sergeant during the Vietnam War.

Smith died March 14, 1933, at age 85 in his Port Townsend home at 1207 Blaine St.

He was the last surviving member of the Civil War veterans who comprised Port Townsend's Farragut Post, Grand Army of the Republic.

But there seems to be no photos of him in the historical archives.

Smith's medal was one of 63 Medals of Honor awarded for heroism at Gettysburg. With 51,000 casualties, it was the war's bloodiest battle.

A corporal in Company E, 6th Pennsylvania Reserve Infantry, the Franklin County, Pa., native and his fellow Union soldiers were fighting Confederate forces when they saw fire coming from sharpshooters holed up in a log cabin on the regiment's flank, according to, a website devoted to Medal of Honor recipients.

Smith joined three sergeants and two other corporals in storming the snipers' nest.

“The six men moved stealthily toward the cabin but were soon discovered by the rebels and came under heavy fire.

“Bravely, they ignored the danger, and, rushing forward, knocked down the barricades in front of the door and overwhelmed the enemy [who then surrendered].”

Smith and the others returned to their regiment with 12 prisoners.

Smith and his five comrades each received the Medal of Honor.

Smith was later captured by Confederates.

He was imprisoned in the infamous Andersonville prison, escaped, was recaptured and returned to Andersonville, according to his March 16, 1933, obituary in the Port Townsend Leader.

After the war, he homesteaded in the Leland Valley in Jefferson County, about 7 miles south of Discovery Bay, where he bought several tracts of land near Lake Hooker (today Lake Leland).

He later moved to Port Townsend.

As a boarding officer for the Customs Service, he “saw the sailing ships here at the height of the heyday,” according to his obituary, which added:

“In his younger days, he was a talented orator and entered vigorously into political campaigns.”

He lived in Jefferson County for about 50 years.

Smith was survived by his wife, Lottie.

In a past interview with the PDN, Robichaux said he looked forward to visiting Smith's grave site every year.

“We go there because of the uniqueness, because of the respect, because of the sacred part of the cemetery that's devoted to the Civil War veterans,” Robichaux said.

“That particular grave site gets no attention, so it's important that I appear there and observe and reflect that veterans aren't just today or in my generation, they go way back to Corporal Smith.

“There's history there. There's 135 years of history. It's unique. It's something I look forward to.”


Senior Staff Writer Paul Gottlieb can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 5060; email

Last modified: November 12. 2012 2:08PM
Reader Comments
Local Business
Friends to Follow

To register a complaint about a comment, email and refer to the article and offending comment, or click here: REPORT ABUSE. comments are subject to the User Policy.

From the PDN:

All materials Copyright © 2017 Black Press Ltd./Sound Publishing Inc. • Terms of UsePrivacy PolicyAssociated Press Privacy PolicyAssociated Press Terms of UseContact Us