By Rob Ollikainen
Peninsula Daily News
Want more top stories? Sign up here for daily or weekly newsletters with our top news.
The Port Angeles Fire Department on Wednesday knocked down an upstairs wall to extinguish the smoldering blaze before it spread.
Fire Chief Ken Dubuc estimated that the fire caused “a couple thousand dollars'” worth of damage.
No one was injured.
“It was a chimney pipe that extended up from the bottom floor through the second floor and then up through the roof,” Dubuc said.
“The pipe had gotten hot and caused some smouldering on the inside of the building itself.”
After the blaze was extinguished, residents were able to stay in the home.
Crews were dispatched to the east-side residence at 4:09 p.m.
The owner was spraying water on the roof with a garden hose when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters extended a ladder to the roof, knocked down an inside wall and pulled sheetrock to access the blaze.
Two fire engines and eight firefighters responded.
Dubuc said it's a good idea to have chimneys inspected on a regular basis.
Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 5072, or at email@example.com.