Peninsula Daily News
Want more top stories? Sign up here for daily or weekly newsletters with our top news.
Firefighters were able to put out the fire, which involved a single industrial-sized battery, with a hand-held dry chemical extinguisher, said Fire Capt. Terry Reid.
The system was already isolated from the building and didn’t set off fire alarms in the rest of the commercial structure, Reid said.
The initial fire at the battery room on the northeast corner of the mall — linked to a wind-power system — burned for several hours Wednesday and resulted in the mall’s temporary closure and evacuation of the City Pier due to smoke being blown across the pier.