Port Ludlow man remains in jail after gunshot fired
Click here to zoom...
Charlie Bermant/Peninsula Daily News
Jefferson County Sheriff Tony Hernandez, left, and Chief Criminal Deputy Joe Nole stand outside the house in which a domestic violence-related shooting took place Monday in Port Ludlow.

By Charlie Bermant
Peninsula Daily News

print Print This | Email This

Most Popular this week

Want more top stories? Sign up here for daily or weekly newsletters with our top news.

PORT LUDLOW — A Port Ludlow man taken into custody after a shot was fired at his home and two women were treated for cuts and bruises is awaiting a court appearance Friday.

Gary Munro, 34, remained in jail Tuesday for investigation of second-degree assault and driving under the influence after Jefferson County deputies took him into custody Monday.

He had been arrested with a loaded gun on a car seat at about 7:20 p.m. Monday near the Hood Canal Bridge after he fled his Port Ludlow home where his wife and sister-in-law were hurt a little before 4 p.m. that day, said Joe Nole, chief criminal deputy for the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office.

His first court appearance is set for 8:30 a.m. Friday in Jefferson County Superior Court at the courthouse at 1820 Jefferson St., Port Townsend.

Nole said Munro was involved in a loud argument with his wife when her sister interrupted the dispute and a gun was discharged.

The first report deputies received was that a woman had been shot in the head, Nole said.

The first deputy arriving at 83 Timber Meadow Drive found Munro's sister-in-law, 33, locked inside the residence and bleeding from the head, but she had not been shot, Nole said.

She had cuts on her face and ear and elsewhere on her head caused by blunt-force trauma that authorities believe Munro inflicted on her, Nole said.

She was taken to Jefferson Healthcare hospital, where she was treated and discharged that evening, he said.

Her sister, Munro's wife, suffered superficial injuries and also was treated and discharged from the hospital, Nole said.

Authorities did not identify the two women.

An unidentified teenager also was in the house at the time of the shooting but ran out and was not harmed, Nole said.

Both women had 5-year-old children who were not home at the time of the incident and were met at the school bus by deputies.

Munro fled in a rented 2012 Nissan Ultima before deputies arrived at the house, Nole said.

He provided this account of Munro's arrest:

Deputy Gordon Tamura found the car as it moved south on Paradise Bay Road.

Tamura followed the car to the intersection of Paradise Bay Road and state Highway 104 where he conducted a traffic stop.

When Munro did not immediately respond to Tamura's commands to get out of the car, four more deputies and one Port Townsend police officer arrived to help.

A few minutes later, Munro complied and was taken into custody.

Nole said deputies had visited Munro's home earlier in the day in response to a missing-person report filed by Munro's wife.

She had filed the report two days earlier and had called to report that he had returned.

During that visit, deputies reported that nothing seemed to be amiss.

Other agencies participating in the arrest were the State Patrol, Port Ludlow Fire and Rescue, and East Jefferson Fire-Rescue.

Anyone with more information is asked to phone Detective Ryan Menday at the Sheriff's Office at 360-385-3831.


Jefferson County Editor Charlie Bermant can be reached at 360-385-2335 or cbermant@peninsuladailynews.com.

Last modified: October 29. 2013 6:22PM
Reader Comments
Local Business
Friends to Follow

To register a complaint about a comment, email moderator@peninsuladailynews.com and refer to the article and offending comment, or click here: REPORT ABUSE.

Peninsuladailynews.com comments are subject to the Peninsuladailynews.com User Policy.

From the PDN:

All materials Copyright © 2017 Black Press Ltd./Sound Publishing Inc. • Terms of UsePrivacy PolicyAssociated Press Privacy PolicyAssociated Press Terms of UseContact Us