Refrigerator thought to have sparked truck camper fire in Port Angeles
Click here to zoom...
Clallam County Fire District No. 3
Lt. Joel McKeen extinguishes a burning truck camper on John Jacobs Road in Port Angeles.

By Joe Smillie
Peninsula Daily News

print Print This | Email This

Most Popular this week

Want more top stories? Sign up here for daily or weekly newsletters with our top news.

PORT ANGELES –– Investigators believe a fire that ripped through an unoccupied truck camper and endangered a large garage in the 300 block of John Jacobs Road began in the camper's refrigerator.

Clallam County Fire District No. 3 spokesman Patrick Young said investigators were unsure whether faulty wiring was to blame for the fire that started shortly before midnight Monday.

No one was injured. No one was in the camper when the fire broke out.

Crews from the Sequim and Port Angeles fire districts put the fire out in about 10 minutes.

The fire was a mere few feet from a garage, Young said, but firefighters put it out before it spread.

Young said he did not know who owned the camper.

The blaze ripped a hole through the center of the camper near its refrigerator, destroying the structure, Young said.

The fire did not affect propane tanks on the camper, Young said.

Young was unsure of the value of the camper.


Sequim-Dungeness Valley Editor Joe Smillie can be reached at 360-681-2390, ext. 5052, or at

Last modified: March 18. 2014 7:43PM
Reader Comments
Local Business
Friends to Follow

To register a complaint about a comment, email and refer to the article and offending comment, or click here: REPORT ABUSE. comments are subject to the User Policy.

From the PDN:

All materials Copyright © 2017 Black Press Ltd./Sound Publishing Inc. • Terms of UsePrivacy PolicyAssociated Press Privacy PolicyAssociated Press Terms of UseContact Us